AUSTRALIAN EMBASSY ABU DHABI
The Embassy advances the interests of Australia and Australians in the UAE. This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, and providing consular assistance to Australians. The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is the lead agency managing Australia's international presence and coordinates with other government agencies to ensure that the pursuit of Australia’s interests. We have a dedicated and professional workforce from a variety of countries.
Title: Consular and Passport Officer
Term: Full-time fixed contract
Agency: Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Salary: AED 132,206 – AED 143,104 per annum plus AED 79,200 per annum housing allowance
Closing Date of Applications: Tuesday 18 July 2017, 11.30pm
The Consular & Passport Officer provides a range of consular, passport and notarial services and advice to Australian citizens living and travelling in the UAE.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Provide a range of consular services advising and assisting Australian citizens
- Provide a range of passport services, including client interviews to Australian citizens in accordance with the Australian Passports Act
- Manage and provide a range of notarial acts and services
- Provide timely advice and reporting on consular and passport cases
- Develop and maintain a strong network of key contacts across the region and liaise with local authorities and organisations in relation to consular and passport matters
- Operate consular and passport related databases and filing systems
- Maintain consular and passport records and statistics
- Perform sub-cashier duties and receive, keep in safe custody and account for public monies in accordance with relevant financial policy
- Perform cheque signatory/electronic signatory to authorise financial payments from post’s official bank account
- Assist with the preparation of consular and passport related reporting including travel advisories, contingency plans for major events and post’s Crisis Action Plan (CAP)
- Provide backup support to the Receptionist / Consular and Passport Assistant with counter duties as required, including performing full reception duties during periods of leave
- Demonstrated knowledge or experience in consular and passport services
- Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic
- Strong client liaison and organisational skills
- Strong capacity to exercise discretion and judgement
- Ability to prioritise and meet tight deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications
Your application should comprise a one (1) page statement explaining why you are interested in providing high level consular and passport services to Australians in the UAE and detailing your strong skills and experience against the duties and qualifications listed above. You should also send a resume of no more than two (2) pages, including contact details for two (2) professional referees.
Applications and enquiries should be emailed to email@example.com
Applications that do not comprise both a substantive one page statement and resume will not be considered.
Applications will be assessed by a Selection Panel and a shortlist established for interview. The interview will test your claims against the criteria above, your suitability for the role and your English and Arabic language skills. A written assessment may also be required. Once interviews are held, an offer will be made to the applicant considered as most suitable for the role.
Unsuccessful applicants will be advised by email.
We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the Australian community and to fostering a positive workplace where people treat each other and the community with respect. Our recruitment decisions are made on the basis of merit and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, sex, sexual preference, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, religion, political opinion, national extraction or social origin. Our employees enjoy equity and fairness in the workplace, opportunities for professional development, and support to balance their work and private lives.
The Embassy aims to ensure its recruitment processes are inclusive of people with disabilities and strongly encourages people with a disability to apply. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments for people with a disability in our selection processes and for our employees in the workplace.