Australian Embassy
United Arab Emirates

Visa and Citizenship FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions - Visa and Citizenship


Do I need a visa to travel to and enter Australia?

Unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen, you will need a visa to enter Australia.

Do I need a visa to transit through Australia?

If you plan to travel through Australia to another country, you will need a subclass 771 Transit visa. This visa lets you transit through Australia for no longer than 72 hours.

If you are going to stay in Australia for more than 72 hours, you will not be eligible for a Transit Visa and you will need to apply for another type of visa.

You may be eligible for Transit Without a Visa (TWOV) if you hold a confirmed onward booking to depart Australia within 8 hours of your arrival and you are an eligible traveller who meets the criteria. For the list of eligible travellers and the relevant TWOV criteria, see Travellers eligible to transit without a visa (TWOV)

If you are not eligible for TWOV, you will need a Transit visa to travel via Australia to another country.

How can I apply for an Australian visa or Australian citizenship?

Submit your application online using ImmiAccount 

What is an ImmiAccount?

ImmiAccount is the 'front door' to all online Australian visa and Australian citizenship services. 

You can use ImmiAccount to:

  • apply for a visa or citizenship online
  • check the progress of your online application
  • upload additional documents to support your application
  • update your passport, email, or address details.

For more information about the services available or to create your own account, go to ImmiAccount

What is an Australian Biometric Collection Centre?

As part of your Australian visa application, in most cases you will need to attend an Australian Biometric Collection Centre to provide your fingerprints and a photograph, known as biometrics.

The Department of Home Affairs has an agreement with our service delivery partner – VFS Global – to provide biometrics collection services, at Australian Biometric Collection Centres.

To see how biometrics are collected, watch our online video Biometrics collection at Australian Biometric Collection Centres  

How much will my application for an Australian visa or Australian citizenship cost?

For the current list of fees for Australian visa applications, see our Visa pricing table. You may also get an estimate of your visa application by using our Visa pricing estimator

For Australian citizenship application fees, click here.

 How long will it take to process my application for an Australian visa?

Our global visa processing times are available online. Processing times are updated monthly and are available for most visa application types.

Note: the processing timeframe commences only after a complete application has been received by Home Affairs. Please be aware processing times can vary due to a range of factors including but not limited to:  

  • whether you have provided all necessary supporting documents when you lodge your application
  • how accurately and how promptly you respond to any requests for additional information
  • how long it takes to complete any required checks on information you have provided to support your application
  • how long it takes to receive additional information from external parties, particularly in relation to health, character and national security requirements.

For a detailed list of processing times, see Visa processing times

How do I check if I have a valid Australian visa without a visa label in my passport?

After your Australian visa has been granted, you may use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)  to check your visa status and entitlements online.

You may also download our free MyVEVO app which allows you to view and send your current visa details by email via an Android or iOS mobile device.

Where do I find my Australian visa grant number?

Your Australian visa grant number is on the visa grant notification sent to you by email or post. If you applied for your visa online using ImmiAccount you may find your visa grant number after checking your ImmiAccount.

If you cannot find your visa grant number, complete the Request for Reference Number Form. We will email you the number which you can then use to login to Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) to view your visa details.

What if I have been issued with a new passport since my Australian visa was granted?

You must notify us if your passport details change because your Australian visa details are linked to your passport. After you have submitted your visa application, depending on the type of change, you may be able to use your ImmiAccount to update your passport details online. You may also complete Form 929 Change of Address and/or Passport Details and send the signed and completed form by email to: [email protected]

How do I get a statutory declaration or a Form 888 statement witnessed to support my application for an Australian visa?

Outside Australia a Commonwealth statutory declaration or Form 888 statement can be witnessed by a person on the list of authorised witnesses who holds an official, administrative connection to Australia. For example, a doctor who is registered to practise medicine in Australia can witness a Commonwealth statutory declaration when they are overseas. Alternatively, a lawyer admitted as a legal practitioner in Australia can witness a statutory declaration outside Australia.

The list of authorised witnesses is available online at: Who can witness your statutory declaration.

If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident and you reside outside Australia, your statement cannot be considered a statutory declaration under Australian law, even if it is made using Form 888 or the template provided by the Attorney-General's Department. Under Home Affairs policy, your statement should be witnessed or certified according to the legal practices of the country in which you make the statement. In the UAE this may include, but is not limited to, a legal practitioner authorised by the legal affairs department in the relevant emirate.

A limited number of appointments are available each week at the Australian Embassy in Abu Dhabi and the Australian Consulate General in Dubai for the witnessing of the signing of Form 888.  Fees are payable by credit or debit card in UAE Dirhams.

Please visit Consular and Passports Office, Abu Dhabi to book an appointment at the Australian Embassy in Abu Dhabi or Consular and Passports Office, Dubai  to book an appointment at the Australian Consulate General in Dubai.

How do I request for an International Movement Record?

Australian citizens and permanent residents of Australia may request International Movement Records by sending the documents listed below via email to: [email protected]

  1. Completed Form 1359 Request for International Movement Records
  2. Copy of your passport or other photo ID (e.g. Australian driving licence)
  3. Your preferred email address to which we will send your IMR.

The processing time is approximately 10 working days. However, requests for International Movement Records prior to 1990 may take longer.